April 13, 2012

5 strings and a bag of oats

This is a story of my very own, self-proclaimed moment of true ecstasy. Cool huh?

I'll tell you time and again it was in 2000. After a whirl-wind three months backpacking around NZ with nothing to my name except a five-stringed guitar and a bag of oats, dates and pumpkin seeds, I arrived in Sydney off an 8 hour bus-ride.

All too soon, my clad-in-rainbow-fairy-skirt self knew all too well I had barely enough to get from the bus station to the city. But with my remaining coinage and a gasp of hope I made it to the big smoke. Sydney Town. Sydney. The biggest city I'd seen in many a month. So, there I was. Dressed like a Byron Bay feral with a half-shaved head and from my nose septum hanging a bulbous silver bull-ring, I carried my freshly 21 years into the busy CBD streets and the morning peak-hour crawl. Checking my pockets I had all but 20 cents to my name. Not enough in my account to withdraw, even if I bothered to go inside. Not even enough for a phone call... 

It hit me. Like a wave of silence, it hit me: "I have no where to go. Nowhere to be. No one is expecting me, or anything of me. I have nothing to buy and nothing to choose. I have nothing to do, but sit. And wait."

So I did.

I sat. I watched the morning CBD busy-ness of business. I watched the sly glances and the hurried steps. I watched the frantic phonecalls and the thrumbing thumbing text messages. And through the barrage of suits and blouses I watched. I watched a man dive a grubby hand into a rubbish bin and examine the contents for usefulness or a couple of calories. I watched a vacant-eyed woman feed the crumbs of her crumpled bag to any pigeons who seemed to care. I sat. I watched, and I waited.

Then I got thirsty.

So I walked. I walked around those busy streets, noticing the people who curved their bodies as to not touch mine. As if I was an infection. I watched my grubby, sandled feet pave those steps around the perfect concrete slabs until, I found a simple water fountain - old and cold. This forgotten friend of Sydney and I became acquainted as I drank from her and wondered how long she had been there; if she had been placed there just for me. In this moment. Now.

The hours passed. Nothing to choose. Nothing to do. Nowhere to go. I had never been more free. I sat, mind vacant. Nothing to choose, nowhere to be. Nothing to be. Nowhere to choose. The silence seemed to open me. Like a moment of pure detachment, pure freedom, pure bliss. Nothing to do, nothing to buy. Nowhere to be, nowhere to go. I was forced, like a willing slave, to simply sit and BE STILL.

I had never been more free, nor have I been as free since.

***

12 years later I find myself losing sleep over choosing what kind of sink this 'we' are going to buy. I find myself in a nightmare - a giant cascading waterfall of choices which I feel threatens to drown me, to flood my insides and squish my 21 year old self under a barrage of glossy magazines and junk mail.

How did we get this way? As a species I mean? How did I get this way? Well... that's another story.


2 comments:

  1. Yep, life...becomes complex... The moment you step in to the zone of 21 + 1 day three hours life gets very hectic. My advice drink more hot chocolates, feel the warmth on your hands and the taste on your tongue... and step out of the zone for a minute or three :-) anbd learn to say "NO!" to that burdened/busy bee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you here still writing, amused or is that self-musing!!! Joy on your way!! Timbo

    ReplyDelete